Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Colonial One Over NYC

BSG FX artist Mojo makes the point that the military could use CGI for all their photo-op needs:

If you wanted pictures of Air Force One and some F16s flying over NY, why not just pick up the phone and call Hollywood? I hear the governor has a few ties with people who make special effects movies. I’m sure they would have helped you out. When most people want images of something impossible, or just too expensive to do for real, they turn to the magic of visual effects. You guys didn’t think a movie like Independence Day used real UFOs, did you?

...Especially now, with computers, you can do FX really cheap! That’s right, the same computers you use to erase people’s identities and put your old math teacher on the no-fly list can be used to create UFOs and airplanes and anything else you can dream up. In fact, I used one to create this picture:



And guess what? I whipped that image up in just about an hour. See? I bet for less than the cost of the fuel you spent on that little stunt yesterday I could have computer-generated all the pictures you needed - all without a single Hail Mary or evacuated building. Hell, for a few extra bucks I would have even thrown in some HD video.

4 comments:

crone51 said...

Great Job . Curiously comforting to see Roslin's plane up there.

I would like to have a few harsh words with whoever authorized that 747 flight though.

Charly Gardel said...

I was thinking the same thing, but don't have the know-how to actually show how to do it. Nicely done!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beloved Empress, Mistress Nina ~99 said...

Just beautiful!! I will concur with just how easy this is as I utilize the technique quite often. The funniest thing I have made was last years Christmas Card that was a photo of all our animals in Santa hats gathered together around a tree out in the snowy pasture.

3 horses, 5 dogs, 3 cats and 2 humans. There was no way any of those critters was standing by with a hat on let alone together but there they are...LOL