Saturday, June 21, 2008

News & Notes



I previously linked to this James Callis interview done by the Onion AV Club, but in case you missed it, definitely check it out. Here's a few highlights...

James talked to them about Gaius Baltars in everyday life:

I don't know if you've seen this, but in the newspaper, did you read this thing about this guy in China? I think that there should be a Gaius Baltar Award for Moral Cowardice given out to people every year. And this man—it's just, seriously, reading it, I was like, "Christ, this guy is Gaius Baltar!" He's a schoolteacher. The earthquake hits. And he said, "Stay still, everybody, you'll be fine," and just ran! He ran for his life, without any of the kids who he's supposed to be looking after. And the miracle of it is that the earthquake didn't touch his school in the same way. He went back to the class, and they're all alive, thank God. And they were like, "But teacher, why did you run away?" And his replies are just extraordinary. It's like, "I'm not a brave man. I am a coward. And in situations like this, it's every man for himself. I don't really feel very guilty, because I didn't cause the earthquake, and quite frankly, if it had been my own mother sat next to me, I would have left her as well."


They asked James how he views Baltar's religious arc:
To be honest, I don't believe it. I don't believe it as James Callis, and I don't believe that Gaius believes it either. Because he couldn't. And I think a lot of it comes out of, "Well, you've set yourself up on a dais, and you've got a microphone, now fucking have you got something to say?" And actually, he doesn't have something to say. He's constantly treading water with the most woolly—I mean, it's terribly woolly. And the thing about that is, the more you say about anything, the more explanation there is to an idea, the more complex an idea is, and the more it's not really going to be encapsulated by the thing you're talking about.

On a personal note, myself, I find religion—I can understand it, I can understand why we have it, as a kind of force on the planet. And I also at the same time think it's ludicrous. My Latin education teaches me that religion comes from religio, which means, "to bind." To bind with rope. And that's all it means. So whenever I hear somebody go, "I feel so religious right now!" I'm like, "Well, you're tying yourself up in knots, are you?" There's no spiritual connotation to that word whatsoever. And while it binds you to a rope, because it's about belonging, it alienates you to others. That can't be part of God's plan, if there is a God.

So I do find all of those things really tough, to be honest. Belief is everything when you're performing something. If you don't have the belief behind it, then that actually puts a shunt on the character. It's like, "Does the character believe this for a minute?"


Callis also talked about the final Cylon:
AVC: Viewers right now are speculating about who will be the final Cylon. I know they didn't tell the cast until pretty near the end. Has it been a crazy guessing game with you guys, too?

JC: It has. Of course it has! Of course it has. And not that we've put bets on it or anything, but… all I can say is, shocking. Shocking. [We were] shocked, and excited. I can't really blow the surprise. I think it's fair to say that you know, the repercussions of this thing is like, it could be anybody.


Also, if you previously read Bear McCreary's essay about the music for Revelations, you'll want to read through the comments on his blog to read Bear's interaction with his readers, and his answers to their questions.

Take this Battlestar Galactica quiz.

Our friends at Space Westerns are holding a poetry contest, and one of the judges is Battlestar Galactica writer, Seamus Kevin Fahey.

io9 explores the connections between Star Trek Deep Space Nine, and Battlestar Galactica.

Speaking of Star Trek, Trek Movie Report calls Enterprise star John Billingsley the hero of the recent FedCon USA disaster. It's great to know that an actor did all he could to give the fans a positive experience in the midst of a great deal of incompetence and confusion.

Check out these old school late 1970s Battlestar Galactica Mattel toys. (Back then I had the Viper and Cylon raider that lunched pellets. And I had the Viper launch station that fired off little foam made vipers.)

Looking for Earth landing gear, as seen above on Adama and Roslin? The jackets appear to be M-65 field jackets. But, for winter, I'm hoping to get a Halliwax parka.

No comments: