Friday, June 20, 2008

Frakking Nukes?

We now have several short comments from three (possibly four) of the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA writer/producers regarding the final shot of "Revelations"...for your endlessly enjoyable speculating pleasure.

Mo Ryan managed to track down Bradley Thompson the day after the broadcast, and posted the following in the comments on this entry in Alan Sepinwall's blog:

No sleep til January. Or until Ron's podcast comes out. At least regarding the bridge question.

At 2 in the morning last night, I had a million questions for the writers of last night's ep, David Weddle and Bradley Thompson. But I only put one question in my email to them -- I asked if the bridge was in fact the Brooklyn Bridge.

Here's Bradley's answer: "You're going to have to continue wondering about the bridge. Check Ron's podcast when it comes out."

More generally, he said, "People seem to be asking the right questions."


Mark Verheiden answered questions for fans over at Comic Mix one more time this week, and had this to say:
CMix (from reader Avery): Was that the Brooklyn Bridge in the background of the final scene? Are they on Ellis Island?

MV: Anything I might say or not say about that last sequence could be construed as a spoiler, so I’m afraid you’ll just have to wait until the next bunch of episodes. Given the other questions I’ve been receiving since the episode ran, I may have to put that particular demur on a hot key, since it will be my standard answer re: anything involving the next episodes.

But as long as we’re discussing the last scene, may I give a shout out, as usual, to the incredible FX team who once again pulled out all the stops for this episode? And for that matter, the props and play-back guys. Kara’s discovery in her Viper plays because the visual information is so clear and dynamic.


Jane Espenson touched on the topic in a letter published the other day on TV Squad:
The beauty of this episode is in its urgency, in the tumbling breathless slide that lands us on that grim gray unfamiliar beach... It's so gray, in fact, that I think it earns the British spelling. It's grey, which is even worse.

And -- oh -- that haunting devastated city there, with the massive ruined temple and our people trying to find their footing in a strange dead city I did not recognize... that image just kills me.

Lots of open questions now...not the least of which would be what lead to Earth/”Earth” becoming that wretched nuclear wasteland. Or, just a wasteland.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That Daniel Holloway article is awful.

Anonymous said...

I would be really disappointed if it wasn't our Earth. I've grown to like this twist very much - it forces the humans and cylons to settle with each other, instead of using Earth as an excuse to avoid those deeper questions.

Anonymous said...

After watching the last episode, I though of how the old show used to start with the voiceover, "Some believe that life here began out there."

How funny it would be if the current show now started with a voiceover that said, "Some believe that life out there started here."