Friday, April 25, 2008

Sci Fi Channel gives fandom "virtual blue balls"

Pretty much sums it up...

For the past few weeks, SciFi.com has been giving viewers an early look at that week's episode, online. The first and second episodes were shown only at noon Eastern, while the third (last week) was shown every hour throughout the morning and afternoon. In all cases, you couldn't rewind or pause the feed, and there are short commercials throughout. This was fantastic for fans eager to see the episode early -- until today, that is.

Sci Fi's website promised a noon "preview" of tonight's episode, which to most meant would be the same, full-episode preview we've been seeing this season. Instead, viewers got the shaft after about 20 minutes of the episode airing, including ending the viewing with a commercial.

The SciFi.com forums are obviously abuzz with pissed-off fans, some saying they won't bother to tune in tonight, just to show their anger toward Sci Fi. I'm definitely disappointed at the virtual blue-balls Sci Fi gave us with this episode, but I'll be damned if I'm not tuning in tonight. I just hope that, in the future, viewers will get a little more warning instead of planning full lunch breaks around this.

Back to work everyone...And please note the banner posted now on Sci Fi's site regarding next Friday (click for larger):


..."PREVIEW"...consider yourself warned.

7 comments:

brisotope said...

Incredible isn't it? Only 20 minutes with no warning. And to end it with a commercial...it was just so frakked up.

ProgGrrl said...

As a grrl, it's been a new and unique sensation...getting blue balls.

I don't like it.

:P

Genevieve said...

I predict a major dip in that stream's viewership next week....

Bryan-Mitchell said...

It said "preview" on there for this week so it shouldn't have been a surprise. Disappointing and frustrating yes but not a surprise.

D said...

I almost tuned in to watch the episode but thought, "Nah, I'm going to watch lunch with my lunch and I'll watch BSG tonight". I'm glad I decided to wait.

Bobby Coggins said...

I woulda been highly upset if I had been able to make it to watch.

Im am one of those people who live where there is no cable service, and a gorge where sat service is impossible. I can only watch it online.

So, if the hulu thing falls through as well. I'll have to...resort to other measures to get my fix.

brisotope said...

They could've said that it was 20 minutes. "Preview" could just be some new description that the marketing dept advised. I definitely won't tune in anymore for these previews, nor will a lot of others I bet. I wonder if Intel will be please with that drop.